Marin Part II:
As you may recall, I brought the WRX to LIC to diagnose because the third cylinder was misfiring. You should also remember that I rode up to Novato to pick it up. Car was ready to go when I arrived.
Had they fixed the problem? Maybe. They assured me that my motor was perfect and that the problem was definitively electrical related. They swapped the coil 1 and 3 to see if a faulty coil was causing the misfire. In the process, they discovered that both cylinder 1 and 3 spark plugs, which were replaced by SpeedElement 8 months/1500miles ago, were only hand tight. After tightening the plugs and swapping the coils, the CEL cleared and the problem went away. LIC was fairly confident that the plugs were the root of the problem so I picked up the car to drive home. If the CEL returns with a cylinder 1 misfire, we will know who to blame.
On the way back to SF, I snapped a few photos of the WRX. I haven’t taken pictures of my car in a long time!
But drive it much either. Driving your car, seeing it reflect off other cars and buildings really makes me want to more buy wheels for it.
Looking at the car also makes me want to lower it more too. I have a new set of coilovers with rear camber plates s hopefully there will be more lowness to come.
Give me back my front lip!
Ok time to go home.
Last week, I drove the Subaru to work because I had my lactate test in San Mateo after work. It was raining heavily and 101 was arguably flooded on some sections. When I got to 92, I noticed the power dropped and was very jerky and rough at lower rpms. I exited as soon as I could, but once I got to local roads, the symptoms disappeared. I continued driving locally to confirm that the car was fine, and when I was convinced so, I headed into work.
The car then proceeded to act normally until I exited and the same symptoms returned, but this time the CEL also came on and was flashing. I parked it for now.
Later in the afternoon, Jeffrey took a look and check the code: 3rd cylinder misfire. A bit of researched indicated that the problem might be either water/intake related, plugs/wires/coil related, or worse case-motor related. After we cleared the code, we test drove it again. The car was fine and the CEL did not return.
On the way home, passing by San Mateo again, the CEL DID return and showed the same symptoms again: jerky power, loss of power, rough idle. I hobbled home and parked it. I planned on leaving it for a couple days to see if the symptoms still remained.
On Saturday, I fired up the car, and the car was still acting the same. Time to let a pro check it out… On Tuesday, I made an appointment with LIC, and today I had the car towed up. Let’s hope it’s not something major…
Sad pictures to follow:
boi boi~ 😦